A truly unique piece of Canadiana...
This stunning fishing reel features a circular depiction of salmon and roe of the Pacific Northwest hand-carved using traditional tools by renowned Kwagiulth artist and master carver Jason Henry Hunt.
Titled Circle of Life, this beautiful First Nations design has been selected to celebrate the 90th Year Anniversary for PEETZ Outdoors. A very limited release of 90 Circle of Life hand carved reels have been commissioned and will be available for PEETZ fans and art collectors during 2015.
PLEASE contact us before ordering to ensure we have a reel for you, as stock is limited. Thank you.
NAME: Circle of Life
ARTIST: Jason Henry Hunt
MEDIUM: Handcrafted 5" PEETZ Evolution fishing reel - finished mahogany and polished brass
RELEASE DATE: July 15, 2015
COMMISSION SIZE: Limited to 90 hand-carved reels- signed and numbered by the artist.
A portion of proceeds from each Circle of Life reel purchased through this website will be donated to salmon conservation as part of 'REEL CHANGE' a partnership between PEETZ and the Pacific Salmon Foundation.
About Jason Henry Hunt
Born in Victoria in 1973, Jason is the son of Kwaguilth carver and artist, Stanley Clifford Hunt. Following in the footsteps of his father and uncles, Tony Hunt and Richard Hunt, Jason has merged his trained indigenous artistic capabilities with a unique, recognizable style that is sought after by collectors throughout North America and in Europe.
Dedicated to the values of old world craftsmanship, and favouring the use of hand tools to carve and finish his works, Jason creates signature pieces that range from totem poles and large scale panels to masks, paintings and jewelry.
Today, Jason is the youngest steward of a rich legacy of creativity that traces its roots from his father through his grandfather, Henry Hunt, to his great-grandfather, Mungo Martin (both widely credited with teaching many of today’s leading artists). Jason’s work explores the distinct culture and art form of the Kwagiulth people while reflecting the vibrant history and knowledge of generations of acclaimed artists.
The PEETZ Evolution Reel
'Circle of Life' is carved upon the new PEETZ EVOLUTION fishing reel.
Released in 2015, the EVOLUTION fishing reel represents the first major innovation in reel design for PEETZ Outdoors in more than a decade!
There are so many wonderful advantages to a retro wood reel that we made a conscious effort to stay true to the PEETZ classic wood look, sound, and more importantly, feel! However, working closely with a number of professional west coast fisherman, we’ve introduced technical and functional enhancements to boost the performance of the PEETZ classic reel and bring it into the 21st century.
- A new design that offers a nod to our past, but an eye to the future!
- New one-way drag mechanism (no more "knuckle buster" effect!).
- Precision stainless steel center shaft and roller bearings.
- New drag control knob that is a nod to the classic PEETZ "wing nut" but offers an updated look and improved feel.
- Updated non-slip drag control.
- Handcrafted from sustainably farmed mahogany - stained and sealed with PEETZ custom sealer and two coats of quality matte varnish for decades of protection from the elements.
- Hand turned and polished brass components including a beautiful lathe-shaped brass line spool.
- New solid Cherry wood handles with clean, through-hull attachment.
- The distinctive resonating sound of the PEETZ clicker with on/off button.
- Created by Canadian artisans.
- A lifetime warranty.